Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Of course I am not perfect!

Did you know there are few certain things that you don't know about my baking adventure. Like how I'd never bake anything related to yeast. Or my biggest fear during the whole baking process is beating the egg whites. and many more.

What you didn't know is it is not all beauty when it comes with the cake. I had few failures, sinking cake, as hard as rock cake (yes ain't no lie here), no taste cake, awful cake, yes you named it!

This is my brother's birthday cake. And I totally forgot peanut butter and cheese really ain't my thing.
We'd settled for three slices and threw away the rest. Well, it was more like I accidentally flipped over the cake pan and the cake fell on the floor, facing down. But I didn't even feel guilty afterwards. It was more like, relieved! :p



And then, among other cakes that on my failure cakes list was Durian Cake.

My boyfriend was a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeee fan of durian until one day we ended up of having three large size tupperware filled with durian until we almost puke everytime we closed the fridge's door. I searched high and low for the recipe and settle for this; cake from here and filling from here.

It wasn't my biggest mistake but the cake was tasteless. I was dying to finish my unsweetened whipping cream so I used that. And I was never a fan of a chiffon or spongy cake, so I threw it away half of it because eventhough I thought it was tasteless, my brother think the other way round.

Just wait until the next durian season (probably next month).

The most disastrous cake I made was an attempt to bake a Pandan Layered Cake. An attempt because I couldn't even assemble. An attempt because eventhough I halves the recipe, my cake was solid. Like rock. Like a thick chopping board. Hard, very hard. And bitter.

In the middle of measuring, I realized that I was out of cake flour (and all purpose flour) so I substituted it with corn flour. Just a teeny weeny corn flour and 30 minutes after, I could just use the cake as my temporary hammer.

I was devastated at first but happy few minutes after that because I could finally called it off for that day and sleep early :)

I baked a Buttermilk Banana Bread the other day. Looking at the picture from the original blog, I thought mine would be as delicious at it seems. But no. I don't know what happened but I just baked a Bingka Pisang instead of a bread. So yeah. I don't know what went wrong. Up until now i just called my delicious banana bread as bingka pasang.

Maybe I should be a magician?

2 comments:

~Yasmin ~ said...

Shaleen,

Your post was at a right time,when I find what I bake looks nothing like the ones in the blogs I take it from!Thank you for inspiring people like me who know nothing about baking,to just keep trying=)

Kookies said...

Yas! Hahahaha. I am nothing lah compared to those bakers. The love of having the whole house smell like a bakery shop has inspired me ;) You must keep on baking before you start working!