Don't you just love the smell of cinnamon in your cakes?
One sniff, and I'll be in heaven. Seriously, I used to hate cinnamon. What's with cake and spices?
Now I rummaged through my notes and recipes book for any cakes, with a hint of cinnamon. Even if its just a teaspoon, it could blew me away. But since there's only me and Mom at home, I often ended up feeling guilty of eating too much. If only our 20 cats have 'cakes' in their diet *sigh*.
Now this recipe is worth to try. I am not saying its the best because I think I've eaten an apple cake even better than this but I love cakes with crumbs or streussel topping. Its just added some texture to your cake. And make your own caramel, instead of just dumping it all in the mixing bowl. Heat some brown sugar with a couple tbsp of water, bring it to boil, let it cool then add in some apples before folding in to your batter.
Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
Adapted from Glorious Treats
For the cake;
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream (I used plain yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples
For the crumbs topping;
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp butter, melted
*There's caramel drizzle in the original recipe, but I decided not to use it ;)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius. Grease your pan. I used a brownie pan, 7" x 12".
- Beat the butter until smooth, add in brown sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Then add in eggs, one at a time until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, add 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix well. Add in 1/2 cup of the sour cream (or yogurt) and continue beating until incorporated. Continue with the rest of the flour and sour cream.
- Add in vanilla then fold in the apples. Spread it onto your pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.