Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chocolate Banana Cake

I know I have a very bad memory. I couldn't remember most of the things happened in my life. I don't know because of the fact that I hate raisins as much as I hate cockroaches or because my brain processor is very small I tend to omit details that won't be beneficial for me for the next 10 years.

But apart from this short term memory I do remember one thing clearly. I'd never had any homemade birthday cake made for me. I'd never fancied a birthday celebration. I thought I looked like an idiot celebrating, singing and cheering my birthday. I do prefer a quite celebration, with the family.

And I do prefer a homemade cake.

So, when a birthday is approaching, I will immediately scuffled with tons of recipes, scrutinizing everything, each of the ingredients to make a perfect birthday cake.

And when it was time for the boyfriend, I know one thing: he loves Secret Recipe's Banana Chocolate Cake. Although I was contemplating to bake one at first (because I just gave him a chocolate cake) but in the end it was his day, and I should get over it.

I was having problem with the ganache as always. I just have to find a good ratio of the whipping cream and chocolate and a proper temperature to pour.

I opted for a simple design. I don't want anything fancy. I don't want any wordings on the cake (now whose cake was it for? hehe).

The verdict? The bf loved it! My principle of making a layered cake: be generous! You really don't want a layered cake to be stack with just a few mm of filling. No, not good.

And the bananas? To prevent browning you can mix few drops of lemon/lime after slicing it.

Chocolate Banana Cake
Adapted from Citarasawan

Chocolate Chiffon:

(A)
30 g cocoa powder
4 egg yolks
100g sugar
130g self rising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
60ml oil
1 tsp vanilla

(B)
4 egg whites
60g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I omit)

Filling:

400ml sweetened whipping cream
100g melted cooking chocolate (I used Hershey's chocolate syrup)
1 1/2 tsp nescafe (dissolve in 1 tbsp hot water)
1 tbsp gelatine (I soaked it in 40ml warm water for 15 minutes)
Banana slices

Chocolate Ganache:

140ml whipping cream
350g cooking chocolate
1 tbsp butter
  1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
  2. Mix all ingredients in A and beat using high speed until fluffy.
  3. In another bowl, beat B until stiff peaks form.
  4. Fold in A into B mixture gently and pour into a 8" pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
  5. When the cake has cooled down, slice it into three or four even layers.
  6. Beat the whipping cream until it doubles in volume and add in vanilla essence, melted chocolate, coffee and gelatine. Mix well.
  7. Spread the filling on top of the first layer of the cake as a base. Make sure it is about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange banana slices on it before topping it off with another layer of cake. Repeat until finish.
  8. Spread a thin coat of the filling around the whole cake as a crumbcoat. Cool it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  9. Meanwhile, heat the whipping cream using a double boiler until its boil. Take it off from the heat and add in cooking chocolate and butter. Stir until it melts. When it has cooled down and reach to your desire consistency, pour it over the cake.

2 comments:

Edi said...

wah looks good! i love simple down to earth cakes too... :)

Kookies said...

Hehe comot lagi lah kak Edi :p