Saturday, January 29, 2011

My first attempt of a layer cake...

I'd never bake a cake lapis before. My bf's mom somehow is a pro when it comes to baking a Sarawak lapis cake. She gave few different types of the cakes last eid. And so I decided to try baking one. But this is an Indonesian lapis cake. Kan?

Anyway, the cake was hideous. I know. I totally forgot to press it to eliminate any bubbles! Only when I baked the last layer only I remembered about it.

I brought the cake to Sabah for X'mas or makan-makan during our family gathering and we forgot to take it out from the fridge, soooooo................ I can't explain how it tasted like!

It was supposed to be a higher cake but I don't know what went wrong, I only managed to get about an inch high. Cake lapis terpenyek. Cis. And I think it was a bit dry and less sweet.

Hopefully when I bake my second lapis cake tonight, everything goes well *fingers crossed*

And if you insist on knowing which recipe did I get, here. But I won't give up. I know it is not easy to make a layer cake and so I will try to bake it again and again until I get it right :) What a spirit! Hahahaha.

And this is not a nugget!

I came across with the recipe from 17 and Baking. I googled it again and again just to make sure everything is right. And I just bought two new baking pans from my holiday in Sabah and I just really need to bake something to try the new pans.

And so I decided to bake this.

The pans were not as good as I thought it would be :( The mini bundt cakes were nothing like the mould. And it made the crust sort like a nugget-crust. A breadcrumbs.

But the cakes were good. But the scent and taste of the lemon juice was too strong to me.


Cruze Farm Buttermilk Pound Cake
Adapted from 17andbaking

1 1/2 cup butter
3 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup buttermilk
juice of 1 lemon, strained
  1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celcius.
  2. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Beat butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in vanilla essence.
  3. Mix in the flour alternately with buttermilk in 3 batches. Stir in lemon juice.
  4. Pour into pan and bake for 75 minutes (mine is less).
ps: I know it is very hard for you to find a buttermilk. Just mix full cream milk with half lemon juice or 2 tbsp of white vinegar, let it stand for 10 minutes and you will have your homemade buttermilk.

No comments: