Sunday, January 30, 2011

Southern Coconut Cake with a hint of Love!

Few weeks ago Kek Alunan Kasih was a hit among food bloggers. Everytime I opened one, this cake will take its pride to be the first on the list. And almost every bloggers has tried it. I was one of them too, of course. There's just something about the layering that made me attracted to.

But I change the recipe. Instead of using the original ingredients for the batter, I opted for a Southern Coconut Cake recipe. I don't know why I did that but I was pretty sure mainly because people commented the cake was nothing more than a butter cake. I always wanted something more and so I disobeyed.

The original Coconut Southern Cake calls for 4 1/2 tsp of baking powder. That were heaps of baking powder, I know. And so I thought it would raise pretty high. So I plan to bake it in two different pans.

To my horror actually it did not raise as high as what I expected. My heart sank. Nobody likes a kempis cake. And I baked it for a kenduri tahlil for my dad. I brought it along anyway to JB, went to Tesco and bought almond slices, heat it in the microwave until its brown, take it out and arranged it nicely on top of the cake so that I can cut it in big square like a brownies.


I like the taste actually and it was a hit among the guests. But maybe because they were attracted to the colours (like what my sister said).

One thing about the cake is it is fragile and crumbly! Few minutes after cutting and arranging the cake for the kenduri, it turns into this;

But it was a good good cake. Maybe one day I will try the original version.

Southern Coconut Cake ala Alunan Kasih
Adapted from AtenderCrumbs and Pn. Mastura Yasak

5 egg whites
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar (I reduced the amount)
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup coconut milk
Cocoa powder
Food coluring
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius.
  2. Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk lightly. Add the 1/2 cup of milk and vanilla and mix well. Set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat the dry ingredients with a paddle attachment on a low speed to remove any clumps. Add the butter and coconut milk and continue beating until combined.
  4. Raise the speed to medium and continue beating for another 2 minutes.
  5. Add the egg mixture in two or three addition.
  6. Divide the batter into three bowl. Add colour onto each bowl and mix well. Pour the first layer into the pan, sieve cocoa powder all over the batter (make sure you cover everything), pour the next colour carefully, sieve cocoa powder and pour the last layer on top of it. Give it a tap or two then bake it for 30 to 40 minutes.
ps: you don't have to bake it in two pans like me. Silly me :(

No comments: