Saturday, January 15, 2011

Coffee Cake

Zanna, my friend baked a coffee cake. And I also wanted to baked a coffee cake :p Because I know eventhough I ask for a slice of it, it would be long gone before it reaches me. So.....

Found this recipe from The Pioneer Woman ages ago. Bookmarked it then finally had the courage to try it last week. Anyway, if anyone found The Pioneer Woman Cooks book, please please please let me know. Or better, buy it for me! Thanks.

Coffee cake is not really a COFFEE cake, silly. It is called as coffee cake well, because the people from west countries eat this cake (or any cake) in the morning for breakfast with coffee or evening (with tea/coffee). Just like how we dipped our Ping Pong cream crackers, they did that with their cake. Hence the coffee cake (Whats the necessary with the explanation? *cough* because I used to get confused before. Things happened; I search for any coffee ingredients in the recipe!)

If you look into the recipe, you can see that it uses white eggs beaten until fluffy and folded in into the batter at the very last step. Believe me, its totally worth it! Although you can't feel your hand afterward from all the high speed hand whisking frequency (mine wasn't. Because I forced Obe to do it for me!).

The cake was soft. Super soft! Very very soft! Get it? But I do recommend you to use lesser sugar both in the batter and also the topping.

Good luck!

The Best Coffee Cake Ever (as claimed by Ree)
Originally from Thepioneerwoman

Cake:
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar (please, reduce the amount!)
3 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup milk
3 eggs white, beaten until stiff

Topping:
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup brown sugar(less less less!)
2 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 cup walnuts

  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius.
  2. Sift together flour and baking powder. Whisked egg whites until stiff.
  3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture and milk alternately in 3 batches, begin and ending with flour. Fold in egg whites. Do not over beat.
  4. Combine together all the topping ingredients in another bowl using your bare hand (unless you have a pastry cutter) until crumbly.
  5. Pour the batter on your pan (I used 8x8x3) then sprinkle the topping on top of it.
  6. Bake 40 to 45 minutes.
Remember, use LESS sugar! And I am serious.

No comments: