Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Semolina Cake

I baked like what most of you did. I am no baking goddess. Sometimes I do forgot to put eggs on the batter. Yes I did, once :p And there were many times where I *cough* accidentally overbeat my batter and you know how my heart sinks just like how the cake sinks in? The feeling, my God nak menangis.

I am not perfect. I am still learning. But I am not that virgin with a whisker, or a spatula.

Like last week, I baked this. You know how did it turn out? Half of it were ok and half of it hampeh. I don't know what went wrong but maybe it was the temperature. Halfway through the baking, I raised the temperature a bit only then it is ok. And I ate all alone. Tsk tsk.

My temptation in baking the perfect cupcakes did not end there. The next few days I baked a simple raspberry vanilla cupcakes from one of the recipe book I have and tralalala, I threw away all of it. Don't ask why memang sangat remuk hati luluh lah.

In between of those two I baked this. Awesome powsome! I liked it! Butter cake texture with suji flavour. But I must remind you, suji flour might be too coarse for your liking. I don't mind it at all. Of course I was a bit disturbed with the sandy feeling of the cake at first but take some time to let it melts itself in your mouth *drools*.

Here just for the sake of you guys, I copied the recipe.

Semolina Cake
Adapted from A Nyonya's Kitchen

140g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder (I used 1 tsp)
100g semolina
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
100ml milk
2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
250g butter, at room temperature
200g sugar (I used only 170g)
2 tbsp honey

  1. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in semolina and salt. Mix well.
  2. Beat eggs, milk and vanilla essence together in a bowl.
  3. Cream butter, sugar and honey till light and fluffy. Gradually trickle in egg mixture, beating constantly. Mix in flour mixture on low speed and stir till well combined.
  4. Spoon the batter into an 8-inch cake tray lined with baking paper.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes at 150 deg C or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
  6. Cool cake for 15 minutes, then unmould and let cool.

No comments: