Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Orange Almond Cake

Of course, Shaleen and baking cannot be separated even when the mixer is broken :p Last Friday I took out the last block of butter from the fridge and the last four eggs and start counting. 4 eggs, what can I bake with four? I searched for a recipe from my hard drive then I stumbled upon this one recipe, Orange Almond Cake. Great! I have some oranges left in the fridge.

When I came home from work, I start to measuring everything. But the ingredients were in fecking grams! Mana pulak aku nak carik scale nih. Then luckily, from years of baking with a lot of failures, I can just close one eye and measure everything. Haha.

Working with lack of utensils is another things. I don't even have orange squeezer. Five minutes later, with splashes of juice everywhere...

I was sweeping the house and the house filled with sweet citrus aroma and I loveeeeeeeeeee it! Brought it home to JB when it was still hot but only to realized they don't really fancy orange cake :(


But this cake never failed me. The perfect combination of orange, almond and sweetness. Perfect and moist. Sampai sekarang craving lagi. Rugi tak bawak Nilai.

Orange Almond Cake
Adapted from My Kitchen Snippets

226 grm butter (1 block)
180 grm sugar (almost 1 cup)
180 grm ground almond
150 grm flour (1 1/2 cups)
½ tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
Zest and juice of 2 oranges (I used 4 ;) )

  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degree F. Grease and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together. Mix in the ground almond and set aside.
  2. Beat butter and sugar with high speed until creamy and smooth. Add in the eggs, one at a time and beat well until well combined.
  3. Reduce the speed to low and add in the fry ingredients in 3 badges alternating with the orange juice and zest. Mix until just incorporated.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for 50 minutes or until the cake is golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan.

No comments: