Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Prune Cake

I am never a big fan of prunes. I don't even know what prunes should taste like. Sweet or sour? I walked along one of the aisle at Giant and my eyes just couldn't stop looking at this.

Gold label? So whats the difference between this and the usual purple tub? My hand got itchy and I just had to buy it. And I did. I got back home and search for a recipe and found one.

So what about the taste? The prunes I mean. Hurm... Sama je kot.

The recipe is from Thepioneerwoman. If you readers thought me as your sifu now this is my sifu. Haha macam lah dia acknowledge aku kan.

But don't be like me. I don't have any cake tester and too lazy to make one (my mom taught me how to improvised by using stem) so I used a knife hence cake ku berlubang nipis macam tu hihi.


Ok. Here's the recipe:

Grandma Iny's Prune Cake
Adapted from Thepioneerwoman

Ingredients

For cake:

15 dried pitted prunes
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla essence

For icing:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Preheat oven to 150 degrees (or somewhere no more than 170 degrees celcius).

Start by mashing all the prunes. You don't have to soaked the prunes in water but if you find it is not squishy enough then add some. Set aside.

Sift together flour, cinnamon powder and baking soda. In a bigger bowl, mix together oil, sugar and eggs and beat well. Stir in the dry ingredients and add in buttermilk, vanilla essence and prunes. As what Ree said, do not overmix!

Pour into your cake pan (I used 9" square pan) and bake for 40 minutes.

5 minutes before the cake is done, start preparing the icing. Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan and heat it for 5 to 7 minutes. Do not stir. It will start to bubbles then turn off the heat when the sugar has reach to almost caramel-consistency but make sure it is not too thick. Immediately pour on top of your cake.

No comments: