Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake

Remember my few posts back regarding the pecan that I reserved for my Hummingbird Cake?

Well, one evening I was hungry. And craving. For cakes. Hungry and craving doesn't goes along that well, because you simply lost some brain cells to control your rationality.

It was raining. And that made me even more hungrier. So I took out some butter and 30 minutes later I already whipping up some batter for a cake. To my surprised it only took less than 45 minutes from preparation to cleaning. While waiting for the butter, I chopped the pecans, measured everything and once the butter has warm a bit to room temperature, I just mix everything, in ease.

This cake definitely became one of my favourite coffee cake. Remember this? This cake was even better! The cake was super soft and to my surprise even with the odd combination of chocolate chips and cinnamon, it does tasted that goooooooooood!

Eat it when it is till warm. You will fell in love with it instantly. But mom told me the nuts were a bit sweet but I thought it was still ok because I reduce the sugar by 1/2 cup.

Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake
Adapted from Atendercrumb

For the cake:
3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs

For the cinnamon chocolate chips filling:
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup melted butter
  1. Heat oven to 170 degrees celcius.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir the light brown sugar, flour and cinnamon powder with a fork. Toss pecans and chocolate chips in another bowl and add in to the flour mixture. Set aside.
  3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Stir the milk with vanilla essence in a small jug. Beat together butter and sugar in another large bowl on a high speed until white and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time until incorporated about 2 minutes.
  4. Add 1/3 of the flour to the butter mixture and fold it using a spatula. Add 1/3 of milk and repeat until finish.
  5. Spread half of the batter onto your prepared pan. Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture then pour the melted butter (well, more of sprinkling it!) and spread the rest of the batter. Top it off with the cinnamon mixture again and melted butter.
  6. Bake 45 to 50 minutes.

No comments: