Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bread Pudding

Ok ini recipe jump. Jump disini bermaksud lompat macam potong que because I want Yasmin to try it. Yas, I know you're reading this and this post is specially for you!

The first time I ate bread pudding was like 10-12 years ago. My sister baked it (yes kakak you baked before aite? Hehe). And that was also the last time I ate bread pudding. Pathetic I know. So, there were some leftovers of the sides of the breads (you know the hard/brown thing that people cut and throw when they're preparing for sandwiches?) from last Sunday sandwiches. I had 2 long loaf of Gardenia bread (What was I doing with that many sandwiches? Hehe) and I really don't want money wasted just like that if we throw it. So I keep it.

And yesterday I baked a bread pudding. Sedap sedap tak tipu tolong lah percaya!



Pecans streussel topping.

Sorry. I couldn't resist the temptation that even before I get my camera ready, I scooped it for food testing. Ok pass. Hahaha.

Actually this bread pudding has it custard sauce that goes with it but I wanted to try it first. I don't want it to be that sweet. I know I have sweet tooth but just as a precaution, when you have dessert in your place twice a week, hurm? And I reduced all the amount of sugar one quarter each. And I am relieved that I did! The sweetness, just perfect!

But what I didn't know, bread pudding is like your substitution of rice. I took one small square and not even finishing half, dah full. Eggs+breads? No wonder lah!

The Best Bread Pudding
Adapted from Paula Deen

Ingredients
2 cups granulated sugar (1 3/4 cups)
5 large beaten eggs
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups cubed Italian bread, allow to stale overnight in a bowl
1 cup packed light brown sugar (3/4 cup)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup yellow raisins

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan.

Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla and raisins. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.
In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.
Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.

2 comments:

~Yasmin ~ said...

Oh my-terharunya my name is on one of your posts.Hehe=)thanks!am going to buy the gardenia loaf now..hopefully that makes up for italian bread=D

Maneesa said...

heheeh seee i can bake ok :P cuma mls je sebab ada org lain bole bake kan hihi