Monday, August 22, 2011

Rainbow Cake

This entire week has been so hectic for me.

I stayed up late, every night, slept just before sahur time and woke up a few hours later and start baking, again. It was tiring but I love it.

And I almost thought I'd abandoned this blog so much :p Erghh sorry!

When I was working back then, I had always brought leftover cakes or cupcakes to the office. Or I would try new recipe and brought it in for them to taste. So when I just about the leave then working place, I knew that I had to bring cakes not just for the colleagues, but for the students as well.

I had nothing in mind except for a rainbow cake.

This cake totally blew me away. I had a thing with anything vibrant and colourful. I love bubur cha cha so much because its colourful. I painted my feature wall in my room with fuschia, had a colourful rug from IKEA just to go with it and also my blanket. And pillow. And bedsheet.

So I really thought this cake would also blew them away, literally of course.

Making it was of course, totally stressful and took a lot of time! First, because I worked during the days. Second, it uses 5 egg whites and you know that I'm scared of egg whites in any recipes. Third, I slept early most of the days :p

This cakes took me three days to finished ensemble it. Since I wanted a bigger cake (two 7x14 inch), each recipe yielded 2 layers of cakes. And since it was a rainbow cake, I need 6 colours in total so I had to bake 6 times! I scraped off the batter from my mixing bowl, washed, dried it and used it again for the next batter. I baked twice a day to get those 6 layers. I wrapped the layers in a cling wrap and stored it in the fridge to prevent moisture loss.

A total of 6 layers including the frosting was heavy (and not that easy to handle)! I think
I had sore muscles on the biceps after that.

But nothing beats the amusement in their eyes when they sliced it. The decoration on the other hand was pretty much in a rush since I was so sleepy and had to fetch mum from the airport. Plus it was big and heavy and I was out of my cream cheese frosting. Used almost 2kg cream cheese for the cakes! Yikes!

The first time I made a rainbow cake was during my birthday last year. I don't know what went wrong because I followed the recipe to the T and yet what I get was a soon-to-get-diabetes-cake! It was too sweet nobody ate it.

This time, I made sure the recipe was perfect. And yes, it was!

You can simply use any white cake recipe you have, but I used this;

White Cake
Adapted from Whisk-Kid

1 cup butter
2 cup sugar
5 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius.
  2. Sieve together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
  3. Cream the butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Add in the egg whites gradually and continue mixing at low speed. Add in vanilla essence.
  4. Mix in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in two parts. Tint the batter according to your preference and divide equally into two 7x14 inch pan. Bake at 15 minutes each.
  5. Remove from the oven, let them cool on the rack for 10 minutes before flip it over and let it cool completely.
ps: I used cream cheese frosting for the cake.

9 comments:

Edi said...

shaleen,
beautiful cakessss!!!! tp mmg berpeluh nak buat la.. i know.. what an effort u made. i;m sure yr students akan ingat sampai bila2 punyerlah! bravo!

selamat hr raya to u!

-kak edi

Kookies said...

Kak Edi! Huhu memang penat! Hahaha. Memang diorang ada satu aje lecturer yg gile baking kan... Haha.

Selamat Hari Raya Kak Edi!

Anonymous said...

You..how the texture of this cake..am really wanted to baked this one..but have not yet to choose between whisk kid recipe or dories perfect party cake..i want a soft fluffy not to heavy kinda cake..

Kookies said...

Hi there! Let me help you because I tried both actually! Hehehe. The first time I baked Rainbow Cake, I refer to Doris's (just to check we have the same recipe: 2 1/4 cups cake flour, 4 egg whites?). The cake was too sweet!! Almost had tooth decay rightaway haha. I followed the recipe to the notch so I don't think I did any mistakes in between. That's why this time, I refer to another recipe and it was the best!

You don't want to use a soft, fluffy cake for Rainbow Cake because you need a sturdy cake to hold the heavy cream cheese.

The cake was great though! But maybe because I love a moist type of cakes than spongy hehe.

Hope it helps!

Anonymous said...

You..tq tq that helps! Ive been browsing for days now but still didnt made up my mind..have reads before bout the sweetness of perfect party cake tu..i have 2 occassion needs 2 rainbow..maybe id try both but reduce sugar at dories recipe..oh btw am baker too and love to lepak at your blog

Kookies said...

Hehe you're most welcome! Try both then see which one you prefer ;)

Oh? Glad to know another baker in house! Hehe. But maybe next time we can chat using name pulak? Hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Haisshh i dah log in actually pesal ntah stil anoy jadi nya..im emma..visit me at emh-cupcakes.blogspot.com byeeee

Kookies said...

Ohhhh hi Ema! You can call me Shaleen ;) And nice blog you have there!! :D

Edi said...

dear shaleen,
i've baked this wonderful cake, finally! love the texture of the cake, it's light and moist.. thks for trying it out first.. hehe.. and thks for sharing the recipe. i'll make a post soon on my blog :)