Saturday, December 3, 2011

Congo Bars

Now, who has never heard any of Congo Bars? I think I have baked it before. Ah yes.

Mom saw this one bag full with pecans which I was saving it for my hummingbird cake.

"Bake for me one, any, full with nuts like what you did before"

I ransacked my box of bakery supplies and found a packet of walnuts. Ah yes! And I baked her an Indonesian Butter Walnut Cake, and it was slightly over baked. And dry. But nevertheless, Mom was the only enjoying it. I wonder why until now.

Still not feeling happy (and since I always ran out of my banana), I ransacked again my baking box and found different types of chocolate chips and M&M's mini. And there, an hour later, I get my Congo bars, with colours this time.

But one thing for sure, if I were to bake it again, maybe I should try a different recipe this time. I mean, there were so many recipes on the net, and each with different ingredients and instructions.

But Mom still loves the walnut cake, and I wonder why...

Congo Bars
Adapted from Bakerella

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup chocolate chip
1 cup twin chocolate chip (optional)
1 tube M&M's mini (optional)
1 cup chopped pecans
  1. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
  2. Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add in egg one at a time and vanilla essence. Add in the flour mixture gradually and continue beating at a medium speed until flour disappears.
  3. Now, using a wooden spoon or a spatula add in all the chocolate chips, nuts and M&M's and mix until it is well combined.
  4. Spread it into your pans and bake at 160 degrees for 30 minutes. (Mine was bake at 25 minutes!)

2 comments:

Edi said...

congo bars ni mmg sedap but i wouldnt bake this for myself coz no matter how much i reduce the sugar, still manis bagi i.. so i'll bake this kalau nak bagi org je.. hehehe.. it tastes good and senang sgt nak buat kan..

mak u bessla.. :)

Kookies said...

those yang boleh handle sweet cakes ok lah kot. Haha pasal my sil was enjoying it!

Haha dia mmg happy. Now dah takde sane die kata maybe she should try some 'forgotten' recipe pulak.